If you’re like most people, you probably have a jar of sourdough discard sitting in your fridge. Maybe you’ve been wondering what to do with it. Well, look no further! In this article, we’ll be sharing a delicious and easy recipe for sourdough discard Irish soda bread. This recipe is perfect for those who want to use up their sourdough discard and enjoy a fresh loaf of bread.
What is Sourdough Discard?
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s talk about sourdough discard. Sourdough discard is the portion of sourdough starter that is discarded during the feeding process. It’s often recommended to discard a portion of the starter to maintain its health and vitality. However, instead of throwing it away, you can use it in recipes like this one.
To make this sourdough discard Irish soda bread, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sourdough discard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
Now that you have all your ingredients ready, here’s how to make the bread:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (218°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the sourdough discard and buttermilk to the dry ingredients and mix until a sticky dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead gently until it comes together in a ball shape.
- Place the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and score the top of the dough with a sharp knife.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Let cool before slicing and serving.
Why Make Sourdough Discard Irish Soda Bread?
There are several reasons why you should make this bread:
- It’s a great way to use up your sourdough discard.
- It’s an easy and quick recipe that doesn’t require a lot of time or effort.
- The bread has a delicious tangy flavor thanks to the sourdough discard.
- It’s a versatile bread that can be served with a variety of dishes.
Tips for Making the Perfect Sourdough Discard Irish Soda Bread
Here are some tips to ensure your bread turns out perfect:
- Don’t overwork the dough. Knead it just enough to bring it together.
- Make sure your oven is preheated to the right temperature before baking.
- Score the top of the dough before baking to allow for expansion.
- Use a sharp knife to score the dough to prevent it from deflating.
- Let the bread cool completely before slicing to prevent it from becoming gummy.
In conclusion, sourdough discard Irish soda bread is a delicious and easy recipe that’s perfect for using up your sourdough discard. It’s a versatile bread that can be served with a variety of dishes, and it has a tangy flavor that’s sure to please. With these tips and instructions, you’re ready to make your own loaf of sourdough discard Irish soda bread. Enjoy!