What Happens If My Cat Eats Aloe Vera?

Can Cats Have Aloe Vera Gel? The 12 Latest Answer My Blog


Cats are curious animals and love to explore things around them. They may eat plants, including aloe vera, which is a popular houseplant known for its medicinal properties. However, as a cat parent, it’s essential to know the potential risks associated with aloe vera consumption by felines.

Is Aloe Vera Safe for Cats?

Aloe vera contains saponins, which are toxic to cats when ingested in large amounts. These compounds can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal problems. The plant also contains anthraquinones, which can cause lethargy, anorexia, and even tremors in cats.

What to Do If Your Cat Eats Aloe Vera?

If you suspect that your cat has ingested aloe vera, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. The vet will perform a physical examination and may recommend inducing vomiting to remove any remaining plant material from the cat’s stomach. In severe cases, the cat may require hospitalization and supportive care.

Preventing Aloe Vera Poisoning in Cats

The best way to protect your cat from aloe vera poisoning is to keep the plant out of their reach. You can place the plant on a high shelf or in a room that your cat cannot access. If you have multiple cats, you can also use a barrier to prevent them from getting to the plant.

Alternative Plants for Cats

If you’re looking for alternative houseplants that are safe for cats, there are many options to choose from. Some cat-friendly plants include spider plants, Boston ferns, and African violets. These plants not only add beauty to your home but also provide air-purifying benefits.


In conclusion, aloe vera can be toxic to cats if ingested in large amounts. As a cat parent, it’s crucial to keep the plant out of your cat’s reach and seek veterinary care immediately if you suspect your cat has consumed any part of the plant. By taking these precautions, you can keep your feline friend safe and healthy while enjoying the benefits of houseplants in your home.