Lipstick plants are known for their beautiful and vibrant flowers that resemble a lipstick tube. If you are a cat owner and have recently purchased a lipstick plant, you might be wondering whether these plants are safe for your feline friend. In this article, we will explore whether lipstick plants are toxic to cats or not.
What are Lipstick Plants?
Lipstick plants, also known as Aeschynanthus radicans, are native to Southeast Asia. They are a popular indoor plant due to their beautiful flowers and easy care. These plants can grow up to 12 inches tall and produce clusters of tubular flowers that bloom in shades of red, pink, or orange.
Are Lipstick Plants Toxic to Cats?
The answer is both yes and no. Lipstick plants are not toxic to cats, but the sap produced by these plants can cause skin irritation or an allergic reaction in some cats. If your cat ingests the plant, it might experience mild gastrointestinal upset, such as vomiting or diarrhea.
What are the Symptoms of Lipstick Plant Poisoning in Cats?
If your cat has ingested lipstick plant, it might show the following symptoms:
- Loss of appetite
- Difficulty breathing
What to Do If Your Cat Ingests Lipstick Plant?
If you suspect that your cat has ingested lipstick plant, contact your veterinarian immediately. You should also bring a sample of the plant with you to the vet. Your vet might induce vomiting or administer activated charcoal to help absorb the toxins.
How to Prevent Lipstick Plant Poisoning in Cats?
The best way to prevent lipstick plant poisoning in cats is to keep these plants out of your cat’s reach. Place the plant in a location where your cat cannot access it. You can also spray the plant with bitter apple spray to deter your cat from chewing on it.
In conclusion, lipstick plants are not toxic to cats, but the sap produced by these plants can cause skin irritation or an allergic reaction in some cats. If your cat ingests the plant, it might experience mild gastrointestinal upset. Therefore, it is best to keep these plants out of your cat’s reach to prevent any accidental ingestion. If your cat shows any symptoms of poisoning, contact your veterinarian immediately.