Hong Kong Fire Toll Reaches 128 as Search Efforts Continue
A devastating fire that ripped through a Hong Kong residential complex has claimed the lives of at least 128 people, with many more feared trapped inside. The blaze, which engulfed seven out of eight towers in the Wang Fuk Court complex, was finally brought under control on Friday morning after nearly 24 hours of intense firefighting efforts.
The fire started on Wednesday afternoon and rapidly spread due to bamboo scaffolding covered in netting that had been installed for renovations. Dozens of people, including firefighters, were injured in the blaze, with many more left homeless as they sought shelter in temporary facilities.
"It's a very challenging situation," said Derek Armstrong Chan, a deputy director of Hong Kong Fire Services, who added that the search and rescue operation was ongoing and that the death toll could still rise. "We're doing our best to find anyone who might be alive inside."
The complex, which housed over 2,000 apartments and 4,800 residents, had been undergoing major renovations when the fire started. Authorities have said they had not been able to make contact with many of the residents in the buildings that caught fire.
Arrests Made Amid Investigation into Deadly Blaze
As the search for survivors continues, authorities have arrested seven men and one woman in connection with the blaze, including scaffolding subcontractors, directors of an engineering consultant company, and project managers. The arrests were made by Hong Kong's anti-corruption agency, which is investigating possible corruption relating to the renovation project.
Police suspect that materials used on the exterior walls of the high-rise buildings did not meet fire resistance standards, allowing the fire to spread rapidly. They have also found plastic foam panels attached to the windows, which are highly flammable and were installed by the construction company.
Immediate Inspections Planned
Authorities plan to conduct immediate inspections of many housing estates undergoing major renovations to ensure that scaffolding and construction materials meet safety standards.
The fire has been described as one of the deadliest in Hong Kong's history, with 41 people killed in a commercial building fire in Kowloon in 1996. The investigation into the blaze is ongoing, with officials working to determine the cause of the fire and the actions taken by those responsible.
A devastating fire that ripped through a Hong Kong residential complex has claimed the lives of at least 128 people, with many more feared trapped inside. The blaze, which engulfed seven out of eight towers in the Wang Fuk Court complex, was finally brought under control on Friday morning after nearly 24 hours of intense firefighting efforts.
The fire started on Wednesday afternoon and rapidly spread due to bamboo scaffolding covered in netting that had been installed for renovations. Dozens of people, including firefighters, were injured in the blaze, with many more left homeless as they sought shelter in temporary facilities.
"It's a very challenging situation," said Derek Armstrong Chan, a deputy director of Hong Kong Fire Services, who added that the search and rescue operation was ongoing and that the death toll could still rise. "We're doing our best to find anyone who might be alive inside."
The complex, which housed over 2,000 apartments and 4,800 residents, had been undergoing major renovations when the fire started. Authorities have said they had not been able to make contact with many of the residents in the buildings that caught fire.
Arrests Made Amid Investigation into Deadly Blaze
As the search for survivors continues, authorities have arrested seven men and one woman in connection with the blaze, including scaffolding subcontractors, directors of an engineering consultant company, and project managers. The arrests were made by Hong Kong's anti-corruption agency, which is investigating possible corruption relating to the renovation project.
Police suspect that materials used on the exterior walls of the high-rise buildings did not meet fire resistance standards, allowing the fire to spread rapidly. They have also found plastic foam panels attached to the windows, which are highly flammable and were installed by the construction company.
Immediate Inspections Planned
Authorities plan to conduct immediate inspections of many housing estates undergoing major renovations to ensure that scaffolding and construction materials meet safety standards.
The fire has been described as one of the deadliest in Hong Kong's history, with 41 people killed in a commercial building fire in Kowloon in 1996. The investigation into the blaze is ongoing, with officials working to determine the cause of the fire and the actions taken by those responsible.