The Benefits of Making Your Own Laundry Detergent
Laundry detergent is a household essential that we all need. However, the store-bought ones can be loaded with harmful chemicals and can be extremely expensive. That’s why making your own liquid laundry detergent can be a great alternative. Not only is it cost-effective, but it’s also eco-friendly and safe for your family and the environment.
Ingredients You Will Need
To make your own liquid laundry detergent, you only need a few simple ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store. These include:
- 1 cup of washing soda
- 1 cup of borax
- 1 bar of grated castile soap (or any soap of your choice)
- 10-15 drops of essential oil (optional)
Now that you’ve gathered all your ingredients, let’s get started with the step-by-step instructions.
- Mix the washing soda and borax in a large bowl and set aside.
- Grate the bar of soap using a cheese grater.
- Place the grated soap in a saucepan with 6 cups of water.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat until the soap has completely dissolved.
- Add the washing soda and borax mixture to the saucepan and stir until everything is well combined.
- Add 4 cups of hot water to the mixture and stir again.
- If you choose to add essential oils, now is the time to do so. Stir thoroughly.
- Let the mixture cool down and then pour it into a glass jar or a recycled detergent bottle.
- Shake well before use.
Tips for Using Your DIY Laundry Detergent
Now that you’ve made your own liquid laundry detergent, here are some tips for using it:
- Use 1/4 to 1/2 cup of detergent per load depending on the size of your washing machine and the level of dirt on your clothes.
- Store your detergent in a cool, dry place.
- Shake the bottle before each use to ensure that the ingredients are well combined.
- If your clothes are heavily soiled, you can add a tablespoon of baking soda to the wash cycle for extra cleaning power.
Making your own liquid laundry detergent is an easy and cost-effective way to keep your clothes clean without exposing your family to harmful chemicals. With just a few simple ingredients and some basic steps, you can create a safe and eco-friendly detergent that works just as well as the store-bought ones. So, give it a try and see the difference for yourself!