Home Cosmetics Droopy Eyelid Surgery Medicare: Everything You Need To Know In 2023

Droopy Eyelid Surgery Medicare: Everything You Need To Know In 2023

Does Medicare Cover Droopy Eyelid Surgery


If you have droopy eyelids that affect your vision and quality of life, you may be considering eyelid surgery. However, the cost of the procedure can be a significant barrier for many seniors. Fortunately, Medicare may cover the cost of droopy eyelid surgery under certain circumstances. In this article, we will provide you with everything you need to know about droopy eyelid surgery Medicare coverage in 2023.

What is Droopy Eyelid Surgery?

Droopy eyelid surgery, also known as blepharoplasty, is a surgical procedure that aims to correct sagging or drooping eyelids. It involves removing excess skin, fat, and muscle from the upper or lower eyelids, which can improve vision and enhance the appearance of the eyes. The procedure is usually performed under local anesthesia and takes around one to two hours to complete.

When Does Medicare Cover Droopy Eyelid Surgery?

Medicare may cover droopy eyelid surgery if it is medically necessary to correct a vision problem caused by sagging eyelids. To qualify for coverage, you must meet certain criteria, including:

  • Experiencing vision impairment that affects your ability to perform daily activities
  • Having a documented visual field test that shows significant vision loss
  • Having a documented physical examination that shows droopy eyelids are the cause of the vision problem

What Medicare Parts Cover Droopy Eyelid Surgery?

Droopy eyelid surgery is typically covered under Medicare Part B, which covers medically necessary outpatient services. Part B may cover 80% of the Medicare-approved cost of the procedure, with the remaining 20% paid by the patient or their supplemental insurance.

What Costs are Involved in Droopy Eyelid Surgery?

The cost of droopy eyelid surgery can vary depending on several factors, including the surgeon’s experience, the location of the surgery, and the extent of the procedure. The Medicare-approved cost for blepharoplasty ranges from $2,000 to $5,000 per eyelid. Patients are responsible for paying their deductible and coinsurance amounts under Part B.

How to Find a Surgeon who Accepts Medicare?

To find a surgeon who accepts Medicare, you can use the Physician Compare tool on the Medicare website. This tool allows you to search for doctors and other healthcare providers who accept Medicare and participate in the Physician Quality Reporting System. You can also ask your doctor or ophthalmologist for a referral to a surgeon who accepts Medicare.

What to Expect During and After Surgery?

During the procedure, your surgeon will make incisions in the natural creases of your eyelids to remove excess skin, fat, and muscle. After the surgery, you may experience some swelling, bruising, and discomfort, which can be managed with pain medication and cold compresses. You should avoid strenuous activities, bending over, and rubbing your eyes for several days after the procedure. Your surgeon will provide you with specific instructions on how to care for your eyes after surgery.

Are There Risks Involved in Droopy Eyelid Surgery?

Like any surgical procedure, droopy eyelid surgery carries some risks, including infection, bleeding, scarring, and anesthesia complications. However, these risks are relatively rare and can be minimized by choosing an experienced and qualified surgeon. Your surgeon will discuss the potential risks and benefits of the procedure with you before the surgery.


Droopy eyelid surgery can be a life-changing procedure for seniors who suffer from vision problems caused by sagging eyelids. If you meet the Medicare criteria for coverage, you may be able to have the procedure done at a reduced cost. However, it’s important to choose a qualified surgeon and follow their instructions for a safe and successful outcome. Talk to your doctor or ophthalmologist today to see if droopy eyelid surgery is right for you.